List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Where is 'Indent' or 'Skip' ?
From:       Guenter Milde <milde () users ! berlios ! de>
Date:       2011-06-27 19:29:21

On 2011-06-27, Fernando Basso wrote:

> Lyx help mentions: Document -> Settings -> Text_Layout -> Indent or
> Skip. I can't
> find it (lyx 1.6.10 - arch linux).

Strange. If I start my LyX 1.6.x with English locale, its under

Document -> Settings -> Text_Layout -> Separate Paragraphs with:
                                       (*) Indentation
				       ( ) Vertical Space

> It mentions
> \setlength{\parindent}{Length}, but I
> can't find the place to paste it.

This should go into the LaTeX Preamble (last tab in Document>Settings).
Of course with a valid TeX length like e.g.

 \setlength{\parindent}{2em}

> What I am trying to accomplish is separate paragraphs and indent the
> first paragraph, even if it doesn't come after another paragraph.

Do you want both, vertical space and indentation?
Then you need to set this in the LaTeX preamble.

To indent the first paragraph after headings etc, use the indentfirst
package, i.e. in the LaTeX preamble write

\usepackage{indentfirst}

Beware: LyX's implementation of (*) Vertical Space is broken -- it
inserts too much space in lists (enumeration, itemize, ...) and similar
places (see l2tabuen.pdf).

Günter