List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: bibliography
From:       Richard Heck <rgheck () comcast ! net>
Date:       2010-09-13 12:19:17

On 09/13/2010 12:21 AM, Jacob Bishop wrote:
> Cristina,
>
> I use jab-ref to manage my bibliographies for documents I create with
> LyX on Windows XP and Windows, and occasionally Kubuntu. I have
> personally never tried to configure the LyX pipe stuff or any of that.
>
> I do exactly as Richard suggests, "Insert>Lists/TOC>BibTeX
> Bibliography, then select the BibTeX file and whatever bibliography
> style you want to use. "
>
> That does everything I need. Then, if I want a citation, I just use
> insert>citation. I'm guessing the extra stuff is to insert the
> citation while in jab-ref or something. I've never seen the need
> though. For this part, it's always worked for me right out of the box
> on both Windows installations as well as Kubuntu.

LyX has some ability to search for citations, but it's very minimal
compared to what JabRef can do. Also, if you need to enter a new
citation, then it's a pain to go do it in JabRef and then do
Insert>Citation in LyX. Much easier just to "push" the citation from
JabRef. Once you have the pipes set up, this is as simple as
highlighting it and hitting Ctrl-L. So it's worth doing, especially on
Linux, since it is so easy.

Richard