List:       lyx-users
Subject:    CAS Support in LyX
From:       rgheck <rgheck () bobjweil ! com>
Date:       2009-11-24 21:28:34

On 11/24/2009 03:05 PM, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> Ken wrote:
>
>> It does appear to be quite simple in its capabilities and not able to
>> handle even moderately complex formulas (exp(2)*exp(3)) in either
>>
> works here with maxima

The mathml support I've been extending was, an Andre said, in pretty
minimal shape. I.e., it did not terribly with simple things, and not
very well at all with anything moderately complex. I'm just guessing
that maxima etc are in similar condition. I.e., that they are more proof
of concept than actual working code. That said, as Andre also mentioned,
it probably wouldn't take much work at all to get them into a lot better
shape. Basically, there are a bunch of InsetMath*::maxima(),
InsetMath*::octave, etc, routines that do the work of translating LyX's
math insets into "external" formats, via the MathExtern class, and much
of the work will consist in simply cleaning these up. To get more
sophisticated features, you *might* have to introduce new material. But
I don't know enough about CAS to know.

Richard