List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Encapsulated PostScript
From:       Rich Shepard <rshepard () appl-ecosys ! com>
Date:       2009-10-26 18:50:39

   The ps2epsi tool converts a .ps file to a .epsi file. According to the man
page, the difference between .eps and .epsi is, "ps2epsi uses gs(1) to
process a PostScript(tm) file and generate as output a new file which
conforms to Adobe's Encapsulated PostScript Interchange (EPSI) format. EPSI
is a special form of encapsulated PostScript (EPS) which adds to the
beginning of the file in the form of PostScript comments a bitmapped version
of the final displayed page. Programs which understand EPSI (usually word
processors or DTP programs) can use this bitmap to give a preview version on
screen of the PostScript. The displayed quality is often not very good
(e.g., low resolution, no colours), but the final printed version uses the
real PostScript, and thus has the normal PostScript quality."

   I used to prepare my lyx figures with xfig that produces .eps by default.
However, PSTricks produces a .ps file that needs to be converted. Will LyX
accept the .epsi format without complaints?

Rich