List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: subdocuments
From:       Wolfgang Engelmann <engelmann () uni-tuebingen ! de>
Date:       2009-04-30 7:26:39

Am Wednesday 29 April 2009 21:40:41 schrieb Guenter Milde:

> > This is strange:
> > I found, that one of the chapters (in a subdocument) contains an error
> > (pdfendlink ended up in different nesting level than \pd).
> >
> > Now if I run this chapter separately (that is not using the master
> > document db0) it works.
>
> If run separately, the doc will use its own Document>Settings, if the
> master is compiled, the childrens Document>Settings are ignored.
> Maybe looking for the difference will reveal the source of the error.
I have used the same Document>settings in all subdocuments,
but your proposal with an external file is much better and I will use it from
now on.
I guess it has to do with the aux file being used differently if I use the
whole document (starting with the master docu) versus just a chapter sub-docu

> > I have started to divide the chapter in two subdocuments, and know
> > already the error is in the second one (and the second one alone runs
> > also without error), but do not understand the whole affair. My idea of
> > using this subdocument bussiness was to be able to find in the
> > subdocument possible errors faster, but that is apparantly not the
> > case.
continuing this I found out that the error was due to a reference. But it
can't be the reference itself, since the same one is used at another place
without giving troubles. There were two further references in front of it;
moving it to the begin of the three citations in a row did not help. I put it
in a note for the time being until I find a solution. I remember that this
occurs apparently occassionaly in a koma-book-setting with two columns.

> The whole thing gets more complicated, so your mileage may vary...

Fortunately I made a good mileage....

> > Since I have used separate chapters, there should be no influence
> > from or to the appending chapters (in koma book there are empty pages
> > between chapters). Could it be related to the input/ instead of
> > include- way of calling the subdirectories from the master??? Any idea?
>
> I don't think input vs. include will have an influence here. However,
> compiling stand-alone chapters vs. the maste might have.
>
> To make sure the custom LaTeX preamble is identic (and changes are
> reflected in every chapter), I use an external file (preamble.tex) and
> write in the Document>Settings:Preamble \input{preamble.tex} (or
> \input{../preamble.tex} if the chapter is in a subdirectory).

> Input is correct.
>
> Günter

I appreciated your help and the one of others very much.

Wolfgang