List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: [Figure embedding] An easy way to share lyx documents
From:       Christian_Ridderström <christian.ridderstrom () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-04-13 20:48:29

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, Richard Heck wrote:

>>  Yes, that's a major drawback ! But the .zlyx could be used as an
>>  "export" file format to share with others, then one could just merge
>>  back the .lyx embedded into the .zlyx : I see this as a way one can
>>  use this feature, but some may want to use it otherwise (as everyone
>>  does when using OOo for example, reinsert the figure)
>>
> This is where things get messy. If you just want an export format, then that
> actually exists already, kind of. There's a script, lyxpak.py, in the
> development tree that will "pack" a LyX file and all its dependencies,
> wherever they may be, into a tar, I think. Then it can be shipped off,
> unpacked, etc. The difficulty is then in "updating". Obviously, you can
> unpack the tar yourself and do with it as you will. But, for security
> reasons, you do not really want LyX to be able automatically to unpack and
> write to arbitrary locations in your filesystem.

Aren't there options to 'tar' that can help with this, e.g. only allowing
things to be written to somewhere inside a subdirectory.

As for the "updating", I don't think 'tar' will be enough... you could
expand the .tar-file into a separate directory and then compare the
directories and manually move the files that have changed _and_ that you
want to use to replace your version of those files. Then I thought a bit
more for a solution, but what I came up with really just ended up
amounting to a version control system where you were emailing changes.

So why not go for a distributed version control system that supports
sending changes (or all of it) as e-mail. This way you can get by without
a server.

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderström				Mobile: +46-70 687 39 44