List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: LyX for bill drafting
From:       Richard Heck <rgheck () bobjweil ! com>
Date:       2009-04-13 16:10:16

Dan Fitch wrote:
> 1. The new hyperref stuff in 1.6 is very slick. Is there any way to
> make a "cross reference" to a section or subsection, without adding a
> label? So the user might say "As defined in s. 10.91" without having
> to go to section 10.91 and adding a label?

Not at present, though this functionality has been much discussed. I.e.,
a kind of "auto-label" that exists for certain kinds of elements. Come
to think of it, work just done by Vincent van Ravesteijn might well put
this within reach. Vincent, the thought is this: Use the context menu in
the TOC. I'm sure there are lots of issues, though, that I've not yet
considered.

> 2. Is there a facility for arbitrary section numbering that integrates
> with LyX? I have seen ERT solutions that allow forcing a numbering
> change; is there any way to do that through the LyX UI as of v1.6?

No, but it might be possible to do this via modules. I'm not sure.

> 3. Non-line-breaking sections. You will notice that if a "child"
> subsection follows a section, it does not cause a line break. See the
> example statute at the top after the TOC: "5.01  Scope.  (1)
> Construction..." the section .01 flows directly into its first
> subsection (1).  Is it possible to set up a custom document class to
> do this? I'm a TeX novice at this point, so I'm just asking for "yes,
> that is possible" or "no, don't even try it."

Yes. And it's not terribly hard. One way is to use the titlesec package
with some standard class. Another is to use the koma* classes, which
provide for LOTS of customization. I think that's also true of memoir.

> 4. Line numbering. Is it possible with LaTeX to do line numbering on a
> per-page, per-section-type basis? I can see how to turn it off and
> back on, but look at the bill example -- the numbers need to start
> over on each successive page. (Again, I have no idea why they do it
> this way, but we have to figure out how to support it.)

http://www-d0.fnal.gov/Run2Physics/WWW/templates/lineno.html

There are some packages particularly for use with legal documents, I
believe. You might check into those.

rh