List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: LyX Branch, self-compiled [was: lyx 1.6.2 for debian using rpm
From:       Anthony Campbell <ac () acampbell ! org ! uk>
Date:       2009-03-25 8:30:25

On 24 Mar 2009, rgheck wrote:
> Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
>> Since there seems to be no deb package of lyx 1.6.2 yet for debian, I
>> wonder whether somebody has used the alien prg for the SuSe rpm
>> package. Is it recommendable or better to use the source code?
>>

> Once you get used to it, using the source is very easy. In fact, even
> better, download the 1.6 branch from svn and compile that. Then keep it
> up to date, recompile it every once in a while, and you'll always have
> the absolutely latest fixes, without waiting for a new release. Note
> that since this is branch, fixes only go in when they're regarded as
> safe---which doesn't of course guarantee that they are, though neither
> is 1.6.2 guaranteed to be safe, right?
>
> To do this, make sure you have the toolchain installed: autotools, make,
> gcc. You'll also need some devel packages, though I'd be surprised if
> pulling in the devel package for Qt4 wasn't enough to pull in the rest.
> Then make a directory for the sources and do this:
> # cd /my/src/dir
> # svn co svn://svn.lyx.org/lyx/lyx-devel/branches/BRANCH_1_6_X
> # cd BRANCH_1_6_X
> # ./autogen.sh
> # ./configure --enable-build-type rel --prefix /usr/local
> ---that last is of course optional, but then you won't overwrite the LyX
> package.
> # make
> # sudo make install
> And there you go. Absolutely up to date.
>
> Richard

I tried this and it worked well on my desktop. When I tried it on my
laptop it failed, saying it could not find Qt4. Both machines are
running Debian Sid and in both I installed Qt4 in the same way, by
installing libqt4-dev.

It's not a huge problem since I have the deb package for lyx-1.6.1, but
I'm curious about why there is this difference. I spent a long time
looking at config.log but no illumination dawned.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk