List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Weird problem with bibtex from LyX (but not from Latex)
From:       Guenter Milde <milde () users ! berlios ! de>
Date:       2009-03-16 9:59:18

On 2009-03-15, Stefano Franchi wrote:

> 3. The preamble of the master document calls the \bibliography commands
>    with 4 .bib files

As the preamble is "free LaTeX source" (like ERT), lyx is not aware of
the \bibliography call there.

Where are your .bib files?

> launching lyx from console and looking at the output reveals that the
> problem is that bibtex cannot find the bib files:

> However, If I export to the whole manuscript to latex (plain) and
> compile from the command line everything works fine, all the bib
> references are found, etcetera.

LyX uses a temporary directory. This might be the cause. You can try to
disable the temporary directory (I don't know how exactly but guess
that giving an empty path for the TempDir in Tools>settings helps).

> 2. I tried creating soft links to the actual files in the local
>    directory and substituting just file names for absolute paths.  No
>    difference.

I would try to put (or link) the *.bib files into a directory in the
BIBINPUTS path, so it is found by LaTeX/BibTeX from everywhere.

.. and substituting just file names for absolute paths.

Günter