List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Query on new-chapters-not-on-new-page
From:       Helge Hafting <helge.hafting () hist ! no>
Date:       2009-03-10 9:35:31

Frederick Noronha [फ़रेदरिक नोरोनया] wrote:
> This may sound like a bizarre query: but is it possible to ensure that
> every new chapter doesn't start on a new page in a book format?

Anything is possible. The easy way out is to use the 'article' class. It
doesn't have chapters, instead "section" is the highest level in the
numbering hierarchy.

So you can start each of your chapters as a new "section", and they will
start immediately. You may have two such "chapters" on the same page, if
they are short enough. Or one chapter ending high on a page, and the
next one starting a bit further down.

> I have a book with a series of short essays. While these need chapter
> numbers, and listing in the index, it is not necessary for the essays
> to begin on a new page. Would be grateful for any help. Thanks, FN

Article sections are numbered, and they are listed in the table of
contents too. You may list them in the index too, of course.

You can't use this scheme if you also need section and subsection
numbers in your book. But if you don't, just use "sections" as
"chapters" and get what you want without a lot of TeX-code.

Helge Hafting