List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Lilypond integration
From:       Piero Faustini <pierofaustini () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2009-03-09 17:37:56

Charles de Miramon <cmiramon@...> writes:

> j.asal wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to write a music theory book with LyX. For musical examples I would
> > like to use Lilypond, but there seems to be no support for including and
> > displaying Lilypond snippets (apart from importing whole Lilypond files).
> > I know that one could use lilypond-book to postprocess files with embedded
> > lilypond code, but then you don't have any preview and you can't use LyX
> > to 'compile' the latex file. Any ideas/suggestions?
> >
> > Best regards,
> > Johannes Asal
>
> I know nothing about Lilypond but have you looked at the insert->external
> object way. There is also a KDE frontend to Lilypond called Frescobaldi
> that looks nice from the screenshots.
>
> Cheers,
> Charles

I understand what are your needs, because almost identical as mine.
I had to discard lilypond-book because it was too difficoult to integrate with
LyX. I must admit I didn't try too much: but I use a lot of multiple-pass
packages such BibLaTeX (a sort of enhanced bibTeX), indexes and so on, so I
think it would be difficuolt to have everything work without problems, and
almost impossible to have a working instant preview of the whole doc.
 It seems that a theory book (as a musicological research on librettoes)
doesn't need a lot of long music examples, so the advantages of lilypond-book
(basically: ability to draw music snipetts in different environments) are not
so important.
This is what I use: I have a directory of musical examples in .ly files, which
have a simple code that have all the white space cut. (can't find the thread
where this was discussed, I will post it later).
I use Insert - File - External material - Lilypond file. It can give instant
preview (and allows direct link to the predefined Lilypond editor, if you find
some error) so is ALMOST as having the code directly in the LyX doc.
If you need multiple lines examples, this can be hard to achieve if you need
lines to cross between pages, but I think a solution can be found. Stay tuned.
Hope it was clear