On Friday 06 February 2009 09:32:12 A B wrote: perhaps a live CD with a whatever-Lyx would be helpful to demonstrate its merrit to those who care Wolfgang > > I'd say: create converters that are shipped with LyX instead! > > If I may generalize a little.... > The word users are of two kinds: the largest part is the one that will > never use anything but word no matte what you do. People is still > educated to learn "Word" not writing and structuring documents. It is > unfortunatly a waste of developer time to produce a LyX light version > for these people, I'm affraid. > > Then there are however some that might install LyX and have a go if > someone stands behind them and point and tell them what to do. They > might just as well use LyX (perhaps it only need a switch to hide > "difficult" menues and good templates(classes?) that will help them > create very nice documents? That might be a better thing to do. > > What is needed is the ability to let LyX users interact with other > people. With good converters that enable LyX users to take a X-file, > open, edit, and send back a X-file, (where X = word or html or rtf or > openoffice or xml or even MP3 (with lillypond?) ) you can work with > LyX in any environment. Then others can see how powerful it is and > then show them the pricetag... > > Btw: Education is a great place to promote LyX. Then they might > continue to use it in the future. And it is in education people get > addicted to Word. :-( > > Well, if I were a word "fan" and LyX was the dominant tool I would > surerly have written a similar comment. > > Cheers! -- --------------------------------- Wolfgang Engelmann Schlossgartenstrasse 22 D-72070 Tübingen Tel 07071 68325