List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Strategies for Writing Co-operation with Non-LyX Users?
From:       Pavel Sanda <sanda () lyx ! org>
Date:       2009-02-05 21:52:48

Vincent van Ravesteijn wrote:
> Reading your other post:
> > It may also be useful on computers too small for latex
> > Lyx-light will be much easier to install because latex and other large
> packages of supporting software is omitted.
>
> The only difference I see is an installer that does not ask whether you
> would like to install the other packages/software ?

imho this is the main idea - to have some link ftp://.../lyxlight.exe
which is possible to install without any fuss and without frightening questions
about words like "latex" which the collaborator possibly never heard before etc.

to me its more about chaning installer than lyx itself (with the exception of
error messages on missing latex classes).
i belive that configure.py is intelligent enough that missing latex and convertors
will cause export/view menu items to disappear.

pavel