List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Strategies for Writing Co-operation with Non-LyX Users?
From:       Guenter Milde <milde () users ! berlios ! de>
Date:       2009-02-05 15:40:48

On 2009-02-05, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
> Guenter Milde wrote:
>> In my view, to use LaTeX as exchange format,
>> LyX development should

>> a) concentrate on an improved
>>       LyX -> LaTeX -> LyX
>>    cycle (with the aim to get this round-trip lossless) and

>> b) encourage development/improvement of LaTeX converters (to/from
>>    OOffice, HTML, reStructuredText) that emphasise preserving the
>>    semantic over visual appearance.

> In my view LateX is too specialized and complicated for an interchange
> format.  reStructuredText or any other simple markup language would be
> just fine IMHO.

But LaTeX is "feature complete", while reStructuredText is even missing
math support (not to speak of paragraph alignment, tables,
citations or a glossary).

> I think it should not be difficult to extent lyx2lyx to handle
> reStructuredText directly (or even HTML or OOfice).

> Any taker? You just need to know python to handle this project, no need
> to fiddle with LyX' internals at all. lyx2lyx provide a nice abstraction
> layer other the lyx format.

Sounds interesting, especially as the Docutils_ provide the abstraction
of reStructuredText in Python as well, so a Docutils lyxwriter using
lyx2lyx looks like a good idea.

Günter