List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Strategies for Writing Co-operation with Non-LyX Users?
From:       Abdelrazak Younes <younes () lyx ! org>
Date:       2009-02-05 13:13:36

Guenter Milde wrote:
> In my view, to use LaTeX as exchange format,
> LyX development should
>
> a) concentrate on an improved
>       LyX -> LaTeX -> LyX
>    cycle (with the aim to get this round-trip lossless) and
>
> b) encourage development/improvement of LaTeX converters (to/from
>    OOffice, HTML, reStructuredText) that emphasise preserving the
>    semantic over visual appearance.

I think it should not be difficult to extent lyx2lyx to handle
reStructuredText directly (or even HTML or OOfice). In my view LateX is
too specialized and complicated for an interchange format.
reStructuredText or any other simple markup language would be just fine
IMHO.

Any taker? You just need to know python to handle this project, no need
to fiddle with LyX' internals at all. lyx2lyx provide a nice abstraction
layer other the lyx format.

Abdel.