List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Corss reference and math functions shortkey.
From:       Guenter Milde <milde () users ! berlios ! de>
Date:       2009-01-28 11:45:31

On 2009-01-27, rgheck wrote:
> Jens Noeckel wrote:
>> On Jan 27, 2009, at 1:25 PM, Anders Host-Madsen wrote:
>>> Jens Noeckel <noeckel@...> writes:

> > Yes, I think what's happening is that I see these shortcuts in the LyX
> > preferences on my Mac, precisely because I have already defined
> > shortcuts for them in a custom bind file. If these "inset" lfuns
> > aren't bound to anything, they apparently don't show up in the LyX
> > preferences at run time... one could say that's a bug, or a missing
> > feature.

> dialog-show-new-inset shows up, but that probably isn't so helpful,
> since you need an argument to it: the inset name, in this case, "ref".
> It's probably not feasible to have shortcuts show commands with their
> arguments. In this particular case, there are only a few possible
> arguments; in other cases, though, there is no limit.

However, if you

> > choose the desired dialog from the menu and watch the status line at
> > the bottom of the LyX window. There you'll see what the corresponding
> > LFun is that opens the dialog, e.g., for references, or graphics,
> > etc.

this includes the actually used argument.

The downside is that this nice help will vanish after a short time, so you
have to be quick.

But if I got it right, the corrsponding lfun (hopefully including the
argument(s)) will be inserted into the minibuffer history in the next
version of LyX.

This would make it possibly to copy and past the right lfun+arg into a
text editor with your *.bind file.

Feature request for the configure-shortcuts dialogue:

  * a search by key
  * a text input field to set the binding of a key to a new lfun.

or just a note explaining that

  to bind currently unused functions to a key,
  please edit <path to bind file> in a text editor.

(where <path to bind file> is set according to the actual used file).

Günter