List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Fast typing - LyX follows slowly only [solved - not yet]
From:       "seacyd () gmx ! net" <seacyd () gmx ! net>
Date:       2008-11-30 18:25:04

Am Sat, 29 Nov 2008 13:20:16 +0100
schrieb "seacyd@gmx.net" <seacyd@gmx.net>:

> Am Fri, 28 Nov 2008 17:55:40 +0100
> schrieb "seacyd@gmx.net" <seacyd@gmx.net>:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > For a long time I valued LyX for its swiftness when typing.
> > Something changed recently, however and I do not
> > have an idea what is causing this.
> >
> > When I type the letters only show up slowly on the screen. This
> > makes working with LyX really cumbersome.
> >
> > I assumed this could have something to do with "Auto Completion".
> > But nothing changed when I switched this feature of.
> >
> > Version: LyX 1.6.0 (7 November 2008) - compiled binary on Ubuntu
> > 8.10
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Regards,
> > seacyd
>
> I solved it, however, without knowing what was the original cause.
>
> Here is what I did:
>
> 1. removed the lyx ubuntu package 1.5.6 from my system (wajig remove
> lyx)
>
> 2. installed the same package again (wajig install lyx) - I did want
> to test with the old version to see if the slowness also occurs there.
>
> 3. I started lyx 1.5.6 everything worked fine & the positive suprise
> was, when I started lyx 1.6.0 the so much appreciated responsiveness
> of lyx is back.
>
> So maybe when compiling the source code some different
> versions of libraries get installed then with the standard Ubuntu
> package?
>
> Regards,
> seacyd

Unfortunately, this actually did not solve it.

I have found another behaviour that might be relevant for experts to
solve this:

* Large window size of lyx (e.g., full screen or maximized)
 -> LyX is slow

* Make the window minimal (only show a few lines and columns) -> LyX is
  fast

Thus, could it be that the library is overpowering my computer
(Intel 2.80 GHZ  / 1024 RAM)?

Regards,
seacyd