List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Helper function/shortcut
From:       Richard Heck <rgheck () bobjweil ! com>
Date:       2008-11-24 15:51:43

Richard Heck wrote:
> Frank Grimm wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking for a way to insert (pre-formatted) text into a LyX
>> document using a keyboard shortcut.
>>
>> For example, I'd like to insert "i.e." when pressing a certain key
>> combination. I tried to use the LyX function "self-insert" with the
>> argument "i.e.", but with LyX 1.6 I only got the error message: "Can
>> not insert shortcut to the list".
>>
> That's a bug. I'm getting that message pretty much no matter what I
> try to do.

OK, the problem is that self-insert cannot be added to the list as a
function. There's a reason for this, namely, that you don't really want
to see the bindings for normal keys in that list, e.g.:
    \bind "2" "self-insert"
The solution is to use this instead:
    command-sequence self-insert i.e.
for the simple case.