List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Amazon Kindle Conversion from Lyx?
From:       Manveru <manveru () manveru ! pl>
Date:       2008-11-18 14:08:33

2008/11/18 Jonathan Kroner <jk@jonathankroner.com>:
> If you published a LyX book to an Amazon Kindle what format did you use?
> How did you do it?
>
> Amazon accepts only the following file formats for conversion for viewing on
> Kindle: MS Word (.DOC),Structured HTML (.HTML, .HTM), .JPEG, .JPG , .GIF,
> .PNG, and .BMP.  It will not accept a pdf.
>
> I have a 40,000 word Koma book, (146 pp at 6.25 x 9.5 inches) only text
> (with chapters, sections, subsections and subsubsections); standard font
> palatino 12 pt, some simple frame text boxes, footnotes, page headers and an
> index.  Otherwise, no special symbols, math, graphics or color.
>
> My conversion experiments have all been disappointing.  My Lyx to HTML is
> unacceptable -- it prints only the first few pages and then stops with what
> are for me some unintelligible error messages (LaTeX Error: Lonely
> \item–perhaps a missing list environment, LaTeX manual or LaTeX Companion
> for explanation.)    What it does create in HTML loses the text boxes, adds
> gibberish next to the footnote references and includes some other gibberish
> spread around the text, such as "cmtt", "cmyk 0 0 0 0" , "1214.5" and many
> similar numbers that are not part of my book.
>
> I tried MobiPocket Creator and the result is just as horrible.
>
> My next experiment is pdf to jpg, but I'm not sure what happens when Amazon
> converts the jpg to its format.
> I'm open to any suggestions.

I know it do not help you. But Kindle is much worst device in world of
e-book readers than iPhone in world of smartphones. Kindle only do
good first impression, everything else is Amazon idea to tie customer
with Amazon. This is quite similar to Apple's strategy.

In technical terms JPEG was not invented to store text documents and I
think effect would be horrible too. If discrete cosine transform and
quantization is did on text all edges become strongly blurred except
when you use no-compression. But no-compression (lossy, because
Huffman is still there) means large bitmaps of pages stored in device.

Accepting only DOC format as document format in open world is suicide...
--
Manveru
jabber: manveru@manveru.pl