List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Installing a truetype font in LyX
From:       Helge Hafting <helge.hafting () aitel ! hist ! no>
Date:       2008-10-20 11:03:49

Jacob Hunt wrote:
> I was just hopeful that someone could point me to a how to, on installing
> truetype fonts for use in LyX.

If you want an on-screen font, just install the font so your OS can use
it, and then select it in tools->preferences.

If you want to use the font in printed documents (which is what
most people want), install the font so that latex can use it.
Then, open the document preamble in LyX, and insert the appropriate
latex command for selecting the now latex-supported font.

You should do some research about this. Some fonts have latex support
packages already. Those are usually not hard to use in LyX. Basically,
you get the latex support package installed, and then you use the
font by adding a \usepackage command in the document preamble in LyX.

Many fonts have no such support though. It is then much more work to get
latex support, but it is still possible.

Xetex _may_ be a way to go - as xetex apparently can use any font you
install for your OS. But xetex isn't that well supported by LyX.

> I have found multiple sites on-line but all seem to require tools that aren't
> installed or available to my system, or I just couldn't get them to work.

Most tools are available for linux, so consider asking for help about
it. People here can usually help you with LyX, and some latex. Note that
there are separate latex forums where ypou can get help with the
latex side of things.

Helge Hafting