List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Lyx pdf & Booksurge Self publishing
From:       "Jonathan Kroner" <jk () JonathanKroner ! com>
Date:       2008-10-18 16:25:20

Does Booksurge accept a Lyx generated pdf, or must it be further processed
through acrobat?

 1.   If you have self published through Booksurge, please answer whether
Booksurge accepts LyX generated pdfs.

I will soon be self-publishing a book, preferably through Booksurge.
Booksurge accepts PDF files, but only if they meet Booksurge specifications.
However, they do not explain their specifications. Instead, they only
explain the steps to save/print the PDF from various versions of adobe
acrobat.

In order to find out whether my pdf will meet their requirements they
require full payment of their up-front fee. They will not provide any
additional assistance in determining whether a LyX pdf meets their
requirements.

2.   Most of their specifications do not apply to me since this will be a
black-and-white, no images, text only book. But one area is of more concern.
They instruct:
 *"Under the fonts tab*
**
*     Deselect the "subset embedded fonts" option.*
**
*     Select ALL of the fonts under Font Source and add them to Always
Embed."*

These instructions are found here for acrobat version 8
 http://www.booksurgepages.com/Downloads/TwoStepstoPDFv8.pdf

 In my Lyx generated PDF document under "Properties" the "Fonts" tab shows a
long list of fonts and following each font is written:    "(embedded
subset)   type 1, encoding: custom."

Booksurge claims they could not answer whether "(embedded subset)   type 1,
encoding: custom"  meets their requirements.  Any opinions?

Thank you
 Jonathan Kroner
 LyX 1.6.0rc3, pdflatex, Windows Vista home premium

--
Jonathan Kroner
http://jonathankroner.com/