List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Experience using XeTeX with XeTeX?
From:       Uwe_Stöhr <uwestoehr () web ! de>
Date:       2008-10-08 13:28:01

Charles de Miramon schrieb:

>> I was asked if it's possible to use LyX with XeTeX, is this possible and
>> does it work reasonably well?

Not yet. The final XeTeX 1.0 has not yet bee released. MiKTeX updates the XeTeX version evey month,
while TeXLive will only do this once a year. This could make problems.
But more important is, that many packages are still missing. For example the polyglossia package
that is the pendant to babel, was release only 3 months ago, so it is still not stable. Other
packages like the ones for underlining etc. are not yet working with Unicode. These packages are
still under development.

> Moving to XeTeX would increase the potential user base of LyX and suppress
> all the weird problems when an user manage to type something in Arabic /
> Hebrew/ ... but cannot print it because the correct LaTeX fonts are not
> installed.

I absolutely agree, but it will take a while until XeTeX is stable enough to use it for LyX.
Nevertheless I will have a look at this in LyX's 1.7 development cycle.

regards Uwe