List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Progress on the MS Word to LyX conversion (xml)
From:       Abdelrazak Younes <younes () lyx ! org>
Date:       2008-07-28 10:45:33

G. Milde wrote:
> On 28.07.08, Steve Litt wrote:

>>> I don't see why it would be harder if we "just replace \begin...\end
>>> with<>...</>".
>
>> Trouble is, replacing \begin..\end with<>...</>  is a hack.
>> There's no such requirement in XML, and if we require it, that's a
>> hack.
>
> I'd call it a layout convention.
>
> IMO it is perfectly legal to define the lyx file format as
>
> ... uses XML ...
> ... is laid out in a manner to facilitate processing by tools that
> operate on a line basis (grep, merge, sed, awk, ...)

Right, but LyX should not depend on this human friendly format. IOW LyX
will be able to parse non nicely formatted .lyx file but will always
output nicely formatted .lyx file.

We could add an option to lyx2lyx so that badly formatted LyX files
generated by some external tool would be transformed into a nicely
formatted .lyx file. See? I don't forecast any parsing problem :-)

Abdel.