List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Bounding box problem (not caused by LyX but ghostscript)
From:       Olivier Ripoll <durocortorum73-gmane () yahoo ! fr>
Date:       2008-06-30 13:34:54

Tom Schlangen wrote:
> Dear Olivier,
>
> > > I did the following in Windows (one line, mail agent may wrap it):
> > > gswin32c -dBATCH -dNOPAUSE -dEPSCrop -sDEVICE=epswrite
> > > -sOutputFile=dummy2.eps dummy.eps
>
> > I tried this, but ...
>
> > > The resulting image displays fine in LyX with or without the
> > > clipping options
>
> > While this is true regarding the bounding box problem, the
> > resulting picture quality I get (LyX display and printout) is very
> > poor compared to the other method I used so far. I am using AFPL
> > Ghostscript V8.54, because it is installed on the Windows machine anyway.
>
> > I will try some younger Windows versions of ghostscript tomorrow and report back.
>
> This morning I tried the GPL GS V8.61 windows binary using your suggested method \
> too, sadly also giving bad quality/resolution results.
> Any suggestion to improve the output quality?
>
> Regards,
>
> Tom Schlangen

Sorry for not having answered before, I was away from internet.
The dummy.eps image you provided contains some text and a frame, at
least that's the only thing I see in gsview and Corel Draw. It is
vectorial. The dummy2.eps generated by gs 8.62 on Windows is also a
vectorial image (much smaller, probably because the font is not embedded
any more). So, the result is resolution-independent: Even if I zoom a
lot, I do not see any resolution problem in the resulting dummy2.eps.
So can you describe what you mean by "bad quality"?

Here is the output I have from the command line when converting the
dummy.eps using gs 8.62 on Windows XP:

GPL Ghostscript 8.62 (2008-02-29)
Copyright (C) 2008 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.
Files\gs\fonts/n022003l.pfb... 2566848 1084635 13472696 12176047 2 done.

Wild guess: the difference could come from the font. Do you have the
same message ?
There is one switch related to the fonts: -dNOPLATFONTS
Perhaps it could help...
gs 8.62 changelog specifically mentions some changes in font location.
So perhaps you should try 8.62 on Windows(*).
http://ghostscript.com/doc/current/Fonts.htm also mentions the following
(section6):
"If you don't seem to be getting nice characters on the screen under MS
Windows, you can try adding aliases to Fontmap, according to the
documentation you'll find in there."

Best regards,

Olivier

(*)Not easy to find from the website, the latest ghostscript can be
found at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ghostscript/