List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Blank Line Before \begin{itemize} in Geneterated LaTeX
From:       "G. Milde" <milde () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2008-06-30 7:36:23

On 28.06.08, Etienne M. Gagnon wrote:
> Christopher Reeve wrote:

> This is best solved by making sure LyX doesn't spit out spurious "\n"'s
> everywhere...

The \n is not exactly spurious. The problem is that

* while in plain LaTeX, you can freely insert a blank line or not
  depending on whether a list (or generally an environment) shall start a
  new paragraph or not

* in LyX you must start a new paragraph for a list (or generally for an
  environment change, except when nesting).

OTOH, while I object to the *everywhere* in your statement, I agree that
it would be better to join lists to preceding paragraphs without
separating blank lines (especially, as there is no blank line *below*
which is inconsistent).

In this special case (list environments)

* it is more likely (IMO) that the user does *not* want a separate
  paragraph in the LaTeX source (i.e. no blank above and below).

* it is possible to force a new paragraph (insert a blank line) from
  within LyX (inserting an empty paragraph with the
  -- Environment Separator -- Layout),

  but it is not possible to remove the blank line from within LyX.

This is why I vote for no blank lines around lists in the generate
LaTeX source.

An alternative would be to always insert blank lines above new paragraphs
(also below a list when a standard paragraph follows) and allow nesting
of stuff inside Standard paragraphs.
(I.e. make the Standard paragraph's LatexType "Environment" and do not
generate \begin{dummy} \end{dummy}.)

Günter