List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Blank Line Before \begin{itemize} in Geneterated LaTeX
From:       "Etienne M. Gagnon" <egagnon () j-meg ! com>
Date:       2008-06-30 0:08:49

Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
>> This is best solved by making sure LyX doesn't spit out spurious
>> "\n"'s everywhere... I've looked in the code, and this part does not
>> seem beautiful at all. I won't even copy here some comments I read in
>> the code; they were too awful! :-)
> That the code is less than perfect is a fact ;-)
> That we need help to improve it is also a fact.
> Whether you'll help us or not is still unknown :-)

Hi Abdel,

Just making sure there's no misunderstanding: I really meant this as
funny remark, not as a critic of of the code. I program too, and not all
of my public code is perfect either. It's just that in my projects I
filter out such comments. Every project has its own culture; I just
found it funny to read scary comments in the source code. That's all! If
the code was so bad, the software wouldn't work in the first place. And,
actually, most of the source files I browsed through had a readability
far above what I am used to see in C++ code. And, finally, I was looking
at the wrong place (see below).

Within very little time after submitting my bug report, there was
already a patch proposed for it. Then a discussion followed with another
patch. Big thanks to Juergen Spitzmueller and Jean-Marc Lasgouttes.
(This is how I know that I was looking at the wrong place).

As I intend to start using LyX on a regular basis (given that the
biggest show stopper for me was list handling, and once I figure out how
to compile the code locally [something to do with missing "QChar"],
that'll be in the past), I am likely to contribute back bug
reports/suggestions/etc. But, hey, give me a chance... First, I will be
more on the receiving end, as a user trying to catch tricks here and
there. Yet, as I already have written a couple of theses, as well as
some reports and papers with LaTeX, I might occasionally be able to help
people with less knowledge than me on this list. I will also invite
people (students being my primary audience) to use LyX. We'll see how it
goes.

Thanks to all for the quick help and feedback.

Etienne

--
Etienne M. Gagnon, Ph.D.
SableCC:                                            http://sablecc.org