List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Blank Line Before \begin{itemize} in Geneterated LaTeX
From:       "Etienne M. Gagnon" <egagnon () j-meg ! com>
Date:       2008-06-28 19:31:00

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Christopher Reeve wrote:
> I know you won't exactly love this solution, but it does work. You can
> remove the extra space again simply by entering a spacer with a user
> value with a negative in front. eg -1 em. This removes the text up a
> line again.

The main problem with this approach is that:

   1. It won't always look similar to not having a blank line in the
      LaTeX source as soon as you start playing with global spacing
      options. Having to go back and fix every ERT because you changed a
      global option is not a good idea.
   2. It requires the human to consistently add ERT to every list.
      Consistency is not best achieved by humans, unfortunately.

This is best solved by making sure LyX doesn't spit out spurious "\n"'s
everywhere... I've looked in the code, and this part does not seem
beautiful at all. I won't even copy here some comments I read in the
code; they were too awful! :-)

Etienne

--
Etienne M. Gagnon, Ph.D.