List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Spellchecker for LyX doesn't work as well as expected
From:       "=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dominik_B=F6hm?=" <dominik () dbedv ! de>
Date:       2008-03-12 9:21:11

Hi there everyone,

I just installed aspell German to use it with LyX. In general the spell
checking works quite well, but some things doesn't work as smoothly as with
Microsoft Word 2003: for example compound words. In German you cannot
compound arbitrary words to new words. For example "Rechenmaschine" is a
valid compound word whilst "Rechnemaschine" is not, though "Rechne" and
"Maschine" are German words. Some times you have got to insert a connecting
"s" between two words to create a compound word: "Konfiguration" and
"Einstellung" are German words, but the compound word is
"Konfigurationseinstellung" (note the "s"). In the latter example, aspell
thinks that the correct compound is wrong while it doesn't find a mistake in
"Konfigurationeinstellung" (without an "s").

So, for German this compound setting seems to be pretty useless. But as we
Germans tend to use a lot of compound words, it's still somehow a very
important feature. Microsoft Word copes with our language rules very well.

Another thing that I am missing compared to Word is a grammar checker.
Writing long texts I often change sentences quite some times and sometimes
the result doesn't make any sense as I see something different than I write.
Thus, I would appreciate a grammer checker. Is aspell capable of checking
(German) grammar?

I hope some of you cannot only understand my problems but will also be able
to provide a working solution.

Best regards
Dominik