List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Overfull line after embedded URL
From:       "Paul A. Rubin" <rubin () msu ! edu>
Date:       2008-01-30 16:13:13

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
>
>> You could try putting \linebreak[n] in ERT where you want the break,
>> where
>> n is an integer in the range 0..4.  This "suggests" a line break, where
>> higher numbers reflect stronger suggestions (and 4 means "the Godfather
>> wants you should break it here").  According to Kopka & Daly 2nd edition,
>> \linebreak with no argument forces a line break (equivalent to [4]?).
>> The
>> line that breaks will be justified.
>
> Paul,
>
>   For the record, there's another way, too. I had one line that was all URL
> and it stuck out into the right margin. By embedding the entire \url{}
> string in \small{}, it fit on the line.
>
>   I don't know why that URL did not split just prior to '.pdf', but it
> didn't.
>
> Rich

I assume that the result of \small was a smaller font size.  I've
considered that once or twice but shied away because I thought it might
look funny.

As to \url not splitting at the dot, its workings are a bit of a
mystery, but IIRC there are some parameters (documented in the style
file itself) that you can tweak to induce splits.

/Paul