List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: [OT] Best KDE-centric Distribution?
From:       José_Matos <jamatos () fc ! up ! pt>
Date:       2008-01-15 21:04:43

On Monday 14 January 2008 17:46:02 Steve Litt wrote:

> IIRC the Mandriva 2007 I use defaults to KDE and has lots and lots of KDE
> programs (I'm writing this on kmail), but my hatred of KDE is so profound
> that my first step was to switch to IceWM, and my second step was to find
> non-KDE substitutes for as many KDE programs as I could.

  With all the due respect :-) but this hate seems a bit irrational. :-)

  André (out mathed - mathematical editor - guru) still uses fvwm with 16
desktops open, at least according to a recent message. I met him before and I
have witness this so it seems that you are in good company. :-)

> It's my fervent hope that LyX never becomes a KDE program. Qt is OK, but
> IMHO KDE programs have too many needless interactions with other programs
> (like dcop server, gimme a break), needlessly causing crashiness and other
> problems.

  dcop is no more in kde 4, long live dbus. :-)

  Georg Baum tried before to build a kde frontend to lyx (that shared lots of
code with the qt frontend), that would live at the same time with the qt
frontend like we had before an xforms frontend.

  A frontend of lyx better integrated with kde seems a nice idea. :-)

  I can understand though some of the frustration with kde 3, kde 4 shows a
lot of promisses and good ideas. I have been working with it in rawhide (pre
Fedora 9) and like it a lot while some of the ideas seems solid (no pun
intended).

--
José Abílio