List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: [OT] Best KDE-centric Distribution?
From:       "Bob Lounsbury" <boblounsbury () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-01-15 14:30:51

On Jan 14, 2008 8:56 PM, rgheck <rgheck@bobjweil.com> wrote:
> Bob Lounsbury wrote:
> > On Jan 14, 2008 10:18 AM, rgheck <rgheck@bobjweil.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I've been using Fedora ever since I started using Linux, but the
> >> second-rate status of KDE under Fedora is starting to get to me, so I'm
> >> thinking about switching. But then: to what? I don't think Kubuntu is
> >> for me. Gentoo would be an option, but then I'm not sure I want to be
> >> quite that bleeding-edge. So, the question: What?
> >>
> >> Richard
> >>

> > My vote is Slackware. [snip]
> Thanks. I'd not even have thought of Slackware, but it may well be the
> right distro for me. The "learning about Linux" part is what attracts me
> to Gentoo---I don't think I'm quite ready for Linux from Scratch---but
> having to compile dang near everything...I'm not sure I want to go that
> route.
>
> rh

Just to clarify, I hope you're not thinking Slackware is similar to
Linux from Scratch because it's not. Slackware is a fully compiled
distro, just install it, choose kde, and go to work (took me 20min to
install it). I also wanted to point out that some will complain that
Slackware does not track dependencies. The great thing about this is
that in general there aren't additional dependencies needed in
Slackware like in other distros. As an example, you said you regularly
compile Qt4 yourself to install LyX 1.6.svn, I just installed
Aiksaurus, Qt4-4.3.3, and LyX 1.5.3 without needing any "additional"
dependencies. Most of the libraries are already built into Slackware.

Good luck with the search.
/Bob