List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: [OT] Best KDE-centric Distribution?
From:       M-L <rosesnug () clearmail ! com ! au>
Date:       2008-01-14 20:35:55

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, rgheck shared this with us all:
>--}
>--} I've been using Fedora ever since I started using Linux, but the
>--} second-rate status of KDE under Fedora is starting to get to me, so I'm
>--} thinking about switching. But then: to what? I don't think Kubuntu is
>--} for me. Gentoo would be an option, but then I'm not sure I want to be
>--} quite that bleeding-edge. So, the question: What?
>--}
>--} Richard
>--}
>--}

Debian Etch.

I have Debian Etch/stable installed on some desktop machines in an Internet
Kiosk I have something to do with, and I wouldn't try to put anything Linux
in front of the windows accustomed public without KDE. It works a treat they
are amazed they are using Linux when informed of this. It makes more work for
me because they then ask if they could install it on their computers, but I
digress.

You will have to use Debian backports to have something a little more up to
date if required. But then Debian Lenny/testing doesn't have a lot problems
but couldn't be described as completely stable all the time.

I run Linux Debian Lenny/testing on two Acer lappys and Linux Debian
Etch/stable on another, my with me all the time machine, a Toshie lappy with
only 64MB RAM and 10GB hard drive Though on this I don't run KDE and only
version 1.4 lyx.

Might be the way to go? Or not?

Be well,
Charlie