List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: [OT] Best KDE-centric Distribution?
From:       Les Denham <ldenham () hal-pc ! org>
Date:       2008-01-14 18:16:05

On Monday 14 January 2008 11:18, rgheck wrote:
> I've been using Fedora ever since I started using Linux, but the
> second-rate status of KDE under Fedora is starting to get to me, so I'm
> thinking about switching. But then: to what? I don't think Kubuntu is
> for me. Gentoo would be an option, but then I'm not sure I want to be
> quite that bleeding-edge. So, the question: What?
>
> Richard

Richard,

For various reasons I have found myself using four different Linux
distributions at the moment: Gentoo (with KDE), Suse 10.1 (with KDE), RHEL3
(with KDE) and Ubuntu (with Gnome).

I haven't tried Kubuntu, but I have found Ubuntu generally satisfactory and
trouble free.

I like Gentoo, but getting things to work properly is sometimes very
time-consuming.  Things that just just work in Ubuntu or Suse sometimes take
a lot of fiddling to get running in Gentoo.  On the other hand, the things
that you just give up on in the other distributions can usually be made to
work (often quite easily) with Gentoo.

I wouldn't recommend Suse because I've come across some annoying things that
don't seem to have a fix -- such as frequently disallowing graphical logins
except by root, until you log in as root and then log out again.

We only use RHEL3 because we use some proprietory software that only runs on
that release -- it's archaic, and doesn't support a lot of recent software or
a lot of new hardware.

Les