List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Hebrew on Mac OS X
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2007-12-19 11:12:21

Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

> Alexander Maryanovsky wrote:
>> On 12/19/07, cmiramon@kde-france.org
>> <cmiramon@kde-france.org> wrote:
>>> It means that the jesus font (an hebraic font) is unavailable on your
>>> system. I guess that you have to install the hebrew package on your
>>> latex distribution to get a set of hebrew fonts.
>>
>> I just installed ivritex-dist
>> (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ivritex/ivritex-1.2.1-dist.tar.gz by
>> copying its contents into ~/Library/texmf) and now the error isn't
>> displayed, but all Hebrew text appears blank in the output file, be it
>> DVI or PDF (English text appears fine).

Copying the files is not enough. In LaTeX, you have to install the fonts by
running several commands that may vary depending on your LaTeX
distribution. Read the documentation.

>> I know this isn't a LyX issue, but could you help me anyway, or at
>> least point me somewhere where I could get help?
There is an English speaking Hebrew latex mailing list
http://listserv.tau.ac.il/archives/ivritex.html

>> On a related note, don't you guys think that an application should
>> work out of the box, without having to go hunt around the internet for
>> packages and such?

Use Linux. On Linux, it is rather simple because Linux distributions have
good package facilities. On MacOSX and Windows, you are in the blue.
Creating a cross-platform package infrastructure is something very hard
that has little chance to happen.

Charles
--
http://www.kde-france.org