List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: [OT] keymaps (was: Re: dead keys)
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2007-09-25 13:19:17

Dov Feldstern wrote:

> If we're talking about keymaps, then yes, I find them very useful. I
> posted my reasons on the developers list a while back, and I hope to
> eventually do some work on improving them, too. See
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.editors.lyx.devel/88939 .

If LyX was capable of communicating with the window manager through dbus, it
could send a message "switch the keyboard to Hebrew" when you enter the
cursor in a Hebrew text.

KWin is capable of launching a window in a specific locale, so you can get
an Hebrew LyX in an English desktop.

It is not cross-platform, but on one platform with a little scripting you
can get much more configurability than you can ever code into LyX. For
example, you could script then when you enter an Hebrew text a virtual
Hebrew keyboard appears on screen.

Cheers,
Charles
--