List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: use of various latex classes in 1.6 [was AMS users: vote your preferences!]
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2007-09-24 14:07:15

Dave Hewitt wrote:

> I for one would be glad to tackle writing some layouts, but the hang up
> for me is what Paul points out here - that the syntax and rules aren't
> laid out in simple form anywhere. I realize it takes trial and error, but
> a few hours with the User's Guide (Customization) and some other layouts
> as examples left me frustrated and unwilling to continue.

Are you creating a layout from scratch or adapting a latex class to LyX.
Creating a custom layout in LaTeX is not easy but adapting a LaTeX class is
rather easy. Just open one of the .inc file and copy&paste and change the
labels and LaTeX commands you want LyX to spit, then refine the way it
should look on screen.

> Is the syntax of layout files (and what they are/are not capable of
> supporting) documented anywhere?

Today, LyX is capable of creating environments \begin{blabla}....
\end{blabla} and commands \blabla{}. The big shortcoming is parameters
\blabla[4}{} but Richard Heck is working on that.

Cheers,
Charles

--
http://www.kde-france.org