List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: making a table with no borders and fits page width - as well
From:       "Paul A. Rubin" <rubin () msu ! edu>
Date:       2006-11-26 23:17:13

Stacia Hartleben wrote:
> If you try to select a type other than inches on the drop down menu
> before you have chosen a size, it won't let you change. It will only
> let you change after you've typed in a number, and if it's a large
> number in inches at least, LyX will slow down.

Keep in mind that LyX dialogs don't always remember changes if you
enter/edit an entry and then click out.  When changing column width, for
instance, if I'm changing units I can enter (or change) the width value
and then click on the units drop down and select a new choice; but if
I'm just changing the width (keeping the same units), I have to hit
enter after the change to convince LyX I wasn't kidding.

> Still wondering about the width, though. When I try the same method
> trying to set equal widths to each column, it only sets the width of
> the last column. Setting them manually is not terrible, but not ideal.

Column-by-column is the only way I know to do this (which is fine by me
-- discourages excessive use of columns :). Also (and I suspect this is
a LaTeX limitation), I have to guess column widths that add up to an
appropriate value < 100% of text width, to allow for inter-column
spacing.  (This is particularly true if, horror of horrors, I use
vertical lines, but I think it's true even in line-free tables.)

/Paul