List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Re: Re: Does LyX 1.2.0 support character styles?
From:       Guenter Milde <G.Milde () physik ! tu-dresden ! de>
Date:       2002-08-13 9:32:17

Still arguing:

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002 17:42:17 +0100 wrote John Levon <levon@movementarian.org>:

> > - I have to interact with colleagues that use plain latex. Something like
> >    \newcommand{\LiTa}{LiTaO$_3$} is quite common there. It would be nice to
> >    have it supported in LyX.
>
> Right. This is really a different thing to character styles. It should
> probable be supported as well though.

IMO, character styles are just a special case of macros. E.g. an "note"
style that writes its content in italics, could be handed over to latex as
  \newcommand[1]{\note}{\textit{#1}}
(Of course it would not be created by typing this as ERT but with GUI.)

If you want to change the "note" style from italics to "in-braces", say
the macro would be
  \newcommand[1]{\note}{[#1]}

This would be possible with my "generic macro support" but _not_ with a pure
character-styles approach (at least if uses the existing layout>character
menu for its choices).

How do I expect the GUI to work:

Definition:

  >Edit>Create_Macro    % or another nice place and name
  popup: Name: note     % give it a name and press OK
  %a red box appears at the cursor position, the cursor is in it
  type #1
  mark and set to italics via >Layout>Character
  ESC                   % the box now shows the name (note)

Use:
a) without selection
  >Edit>Macro>note      % or a keybinding + note,
                          % latex freaks will like "\" + "note"
  % the red box appears with nothing in it
  % type whatever you will -- it becomes italicised
  ESC or M-c Space %leave the box

b) with selection
  >Edit>Macro>note      % or a keybinding + note
  % the selection becomes italicised

Redefinition:

  Click note-box % the italic #1 appears
  Mark the #1
  M-c Space % set to normal
  change to [#1]
  ESC
  % now all notes will change to [note-text]

Guenter

Guenter

G.Milde at physik.tu-dresden.de