List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: can latex break equations at all
From:       Guenter Milde <G.Milde () physik ! tu-dresden ! de>
Date:       2002-08-07 9:13:17

On Wed, 07 Aug 2002 10:11:08 +0200 wrote Olivier Ripoll <olivier.ripoll@unine.ch>:

> ... I have a simple but long equation:
> that contains some binary and relational operators (+ - are many), but
> latex is unable to make a file where the equation stays on the page.

LaTeX will break inline equations (and sometimes even on unwanted places)
but not displayed ones. Long displayed equations need to be broken by hand.
LyX offers a very simple way to do so:

Open Mathed as display (M-a d) and press Ctrl-Enter. You will get two lines
of 3 boxes (an equation array) that you can fill with your equation in a way
it alignes nicely. (BTW: you can always change a displayed eq to eqarray by
pressing Ctrl-Enter, but you will have to cut and paste to fill the boxes
right.)

GM

G.Milde at physik.tu-dresden.de