List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: time for a version change?
From:       Francisco Stefano Wechsler <wechsler () fca ! unesp ! br>
Date:       2001-09-27 20:26:11

> The file I was trying to download was lyx-1.1.5fix2tar.gz. I
> found this in the stable directory. When I looked for the file on
> my hard drive, it was nowhere to be found.

  The best way to download is to use an ftp program. I use ncftp or gftp,
but this is largely a matter of taste. If by any chance the download is
interrupted, you can resume it, without losing the previously downloaded
part of the file. You could even run the ftp program in background.

> I then tried Netscape. I went to the bin directory and tried
> downloading the lyx-1.1.5fix2-1.5scr.rmp. Instead of downloading
> a separate file, it started to download code to my browser
> window.

  Yes, Netscape does this quite often. You could circumvent this by
pressing the Ctrl key (or is it the Alt key?) and clicking at the
hyperlink simultaneously. Note, however, that Netscape is not reliable for
downloading binary files, because it uses text mode.

Francisco Stefano Wechsler          Diga n=E3o ao monop=F3lio: use Gnu-Linu=
x.
Dep. Prod. Expl. Animal             Enviado por meio do PINE 4.33.
Fac. Med. Vet. Zoot.                Que a for=E7a do ping=FCim esteja conti=
go!
UNESP
C.P. 560                            Say no to monopoly: use Gnu-Linux.
18618-000 Botucatu, SP              Sent through PINE 4.33.
Brasil                              May the penguin be with you!
Tel.: 0-xx-14-6802-7180
      0-xx-14-6802-7185
      0-xx-14-6802-7189