List:       lyx-docs
Subject:    Re: Hungarian support ?
From:       Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <Jean-Marc.Lasgouttes () inria ! fr>
Date:       2004-03-01 16:19:14

>>>>> "theblond" == theblond  <theblond@freemail.hu> writes:

theblond> Dear all at lyx-docs@lists.lyx.org, I would like to ask
theblond> about the hungarian (offically "Magyar") translation. When
theblond> was it removed? How can it readded to the distrobution?

We removed several translations in 1.3.4 because they were so outdated
that they caused more harm than good. In the case of the hu
translation, it has 700 translated strings on a total of 2700.

I will re-add it to the distribution as soon as someone (you?) sends
me an updated version (which needn't be complete, the threshold we
arbitrarily chose is that about half of the messages should be
translated). Actually, the real incentive for keeping a translation is
that somebody is actively maintaining it.

theblond> I see there are various thing to translate, such as main web
theblond> pages (esp. some basic info), .po files and the main thing:
theblond> the help files.

In order of importance, I think you could translate:

1/ the po file
2/ the docs: splash.lyx (in example directory), Intro (already done?),
Tutorial, the rest.
3/ have a web site. This site does not need to be a copy of the
official web site.

theblond> It can be found at: http://lyx.tvn.hu (can be linked, but a
theblond> banner will appear) http://lyx.tvn.hu/index2.php (can be
theblond> linked, without banner )

Nice. If you want, I can add these pages to
http://www.lyx.org/about/i18n.php3.

theblond> I will do translating these pages, until I will have more
theblond> information on the others, thus the work I do will not be
theblond> redundant.

I do not know of anybody else working on hungarian web pages currently.

theblond> I have sent an email to the official hungarian translator
theblond> and I waiting his answer.

theblond> Should I continue my work?

I think so.

theblond> I would like to ask about the www pages: How the official
theblond> translations will handled? Is it posibble to rename the
theblond> .php3 files to .php? Maybe, instead of the .php3 files to
theblond> make something else e.g. ".x.php"? I had some trouble
theblond> installing to the server.

We do not have a policy of official translations of the web site. What
we propose is just to assign an address like www.hu.lyx.org that can
point to your site.

You may want to ask larsbj@lyx.org to see whether it could be possible
to host your pages, but I am not sure it would be possible.

Hope this helps.

JMarc