List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: questions around an idea i have for a feature in lyx
From:       Jean-Marc Lasgouttes <lasgouttes () lyx ! org>
Date:       2024-05-03 14:22:09

Le 03/05/2024 à 11:28, matan guedj a écrit  :
> Hello,
> I've had a few questions revolving around an idea that I had recently
> trying to teach myself pgfplots.
> I'm fairly new to LyX and LaTeX in general (started using both in
> January 2024) and I'm also no programmer (I've had an introductory
> course in C but that's about it) but I wanted to add a new feature to
> LyX - a plotting tool.
> What I'm thinking of is on the math bar or some other bar, add a plot
> icon that will open a window with all the parameters for the mostly used
> plots (2D/3D, Cartesian/polar/spherical..., scatter/bars/pie...,
> parametric curves or surfaces, implicit functions, vector fields, and more).
> I'm still learning pgfplots but it follows a fairly simple and
> well-defined formula for most of the plots so it most likely can be
> automated.

Dear Matan,

What you describe is a pgfplot editor. Is there a reason why it would be
really better than making one that can be used outside LyX?

I would advise looking for such an existing editor, write one if it does
not exist, and then do the basic plumbing to be able to invoke it from
LyX and preview the result (the easiest part).

JMarc