List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Don't record (de)activating change tracking on undo stack
From:       Lorenzo Bertini <lorenzobertini97 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-11-30 16:46:24

Il giorno gio 30 nov 2023 alle ore 15:47 Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
<lasgouttes@lyx.org> ha scritto:

> Le 30/11/2023 à 03:01, Daniel a écrit :
> > LyX has the peculiarity of treating the (de)activating of change
> > tracking as something that is recorded on the undo stack.
>
> Actually, everything that is stored in the file goes to the undo stack.
> I do not see how to avoid that.
>
> > One of the problems I ran into with this is that it unexpectedly killed
> > the redo function when I activated change tracking, i.e. I undid some
> > changes and activated the change tracking in between and this changed
> > what could be redone.
> >
> > The only other app I know of that does this is Apple Pages. But I am not
> > sure whether Apple's change tracking should be taken as a thought
> > through feature, e.g. it is impossible to de-activate change tracking
> > without accepting all changes. Go figure!
>
> Do other applications save change tracking status?
>
> Would you find it good that, if you open a file for the explicit purpose
> of setting change tracking "on", then it will be necessary to fake
> another change for the purpose of being able to save it? Or that undoing
> all your changes may leave certain change unbeknownst to you?
>
> There might be another way to avoid killing the redo stack. Do you know
> of any applicaiton that has a solution to this?
>
> JMarc

I agree with Daniel, it caught me off guard the first time that
document settings got in the way of undo-redo. Can't really tell what
other word processors use, but what I expected was that undo-redo only
applied to the text of the document. However, JMarc's point about not
being able to save after a setting change is very valid. If anyone has
libreoffice installed, how is this handled there?

Lorenzo