List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Marking inverted branch insets
From:       Thibaut Cuvelier <tcuvelier () lyx ! org>
Date:       2021-10-20 14:20:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, 20 Oct 2021 at 16:07, Yuriy Skalko <yuriy.skalko@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Really I'm also thinking about more flexible system -- to connect branch
> >> insets to branches using logical expressions. So the branch inset could
> have
> >> logical combination of existing branches, not just branch name with
> optional
> >> inversion. For example now it is impossible to have a part of the
> document
> >> that will be outputted when any of 2 branches is active. But with
> logical
> >> expressions we will have inset "FirstBranch or SecondBranch" that solves
> >> this task. More complex combinations also will be possible.
> >
> > I like this idea a lot. I would also be interested in a dependency
> > structure of branches (i.e., not variable by insets) along the lines of
> > "branch Q depends on branch C and branch D so to activate branch Q,
> > branches C and D must also be activated". I think we should think hard
> > about exactly what features we want and the interface. Ideally we would
> > extend the current functionality without making the interface much more
> > complex for most users who I think do not use branches in the way you
> > and I have in mind.
> >
> > Best,
> > Scott
>
> Really logical AND operation on branches can be implemented now by
> nesting insets. Do you want to get separate Q to get simpler
> expressions/insets in other places in the document?
>
> Of course I agree that simple usage of branches should remain simple.

FWIW, UI requirements for this kind of feature are not unique to LyX, XML
authoring tools typically have to deal with conditional text/profiling. For
instance, Oxygen XML and XMLmind have some UI for this (but it focuses on
showing the attributes that are used to filter out some content, i.e. it
shows the elements that the user can use to write their own logic to select
the content to output):
https://www.oxygenxml.com/doc/versions/24.0/ug-editor/topics/preferences-profiling-conditions.html
and https://www.xmlmind.com/xmleditor/_distrib/doc/profiling/index.html