List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Default to Qt 4 or Qt 5 with our build systems?
From:       Scott Kostyshak <skostysh () lyx ! org>
Date:       2017-04-30 23:23:41

Suppose that a system has both Qt 4 and Qt 5 development libraries
installed. Should our automake and CMake build systems choose to use Qt
4 or Qt 5?

Uwe made a good point that Qt 4 support is ending. See, for example, the
following paragraph (from [1]):=20

  Qt 4.8.7 is planned to be the last patch release of the Qt 4 series.
  Standard support is available until December 2015, after which extended
  support will be available. We recommend all active projects to migrate
  to Qt 5, as new operating systems and compilers with Qt 4.8 will not be
  supported. If you have challenges migrating to Qt 5, please contact us
  or some of our service partners for assistance.

The argument to still choose Qt 4 by default is that LyX 5.6 is the
minimum recommended version for LyX.

If we do want to switch to Qt 5 by default for 2.3.0, perhaps we should
give a warning or error for Qt less than (e.g.) 5.5 (maybe we do
already?).

Scott

[1] http://blog.qt.io/blog/2015/05/26/qt-4-8-7-released/