List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Bleeding-edge LyX
From:       Andrew Parsloe <aparsloe () clear ! net ! nz>
Date:       2016-04-04 10:24:43

On 4/04/2016 10:19 a.m., Andrew Parsloe wrote:
> On 4/04/2016 9:02 a.m., Scott Kostyshak wrote:

>>> I hadn't tried that, but I've just done so, and no, 2.1.x files
>>> result in
>>> the same error. (I've reverted to beta2 now.)
>> I wonder if the problem is that your 2.2.0dev binary either cannot find
>> lyx2lyx or is using a different lyx2lyx. Note that lyx and lyx2lyx are
>> separate programs so the lyx program calls lyx2lyx (thus your PATH is
>> important). Are you using this bleeding-edge LyX thing locally or did
>> you install it?
>>
>> Scott
> Having unzipped the download, you are presented with two directories,
> one labelled bin and one Resources. As I understand it, you simply
> copy these on top of the installed LyX. It sounds somewhat
> hair-raising. My bumbling about (it took me a number of attempts to
> work out exactly what to do although the instructions seem clear
> enough in hindsight) may well have had side-effects, including
> corrupting PATH. At this point I'll simply wait for rc1.
>
> Andrew
In fact I've had another go, and now the bleeding edge LyX can open
documents from earlier versions of LyX. Help > About lists the date of
the build as 3 April, QT Version 5.5.1. The citation dialogue which you
were looking for a windows user's comments on (#10019, & which is why I
undertook this exercise) looks good, as far as I can tell. The minimum
height is a little less than in 2.1.4, the minimum width the same. It
seems to stretch horizontally and vertically as I would expect.

However, there are still problems with bleeding edge LyX and as you
surmised, Scott, they do seem to centre around the path. The format of
my custom modules is not updated to 60. I had to do that manually and
the LyX icon in the task bar, when LyX is being used, is the windows
default icon for a program. When I try to change the icon windows
responds: Windows can't find the file %Program Files%\LyX
2.2\bin\lyx.exe. When I browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\LyX
2.2\bin\lyx.exe it tells me that "the file C:\Program Files (x86)\LyX
2.2\bin\lyx.exe" contains no icons. Whether this is the fault of b-e LyX
or me, I don't know.

Andrew

---