List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Questions for Uwe once you are back
From:       Uwe_Stöhr <uwestoehr () web ! de>
Date:       2016-01-14 22:32:08

Am 14.01.2016 um 21:22 schrieb Georg Baum:

>> So I still think that creating a new git branch and copying the files
>> from the tar there is the quickest and also safest way - no need to
>> fiddle around with any path.
>
> Here I strongly disagree. By doing this, you have no control over the
> information from the previous builds that is in the cmake cache.
> Therefore it is never sure whether such a build is reproducible (e.g. if
> you re-used the directory to build from git again).

I don't understand. It is up to me to decide which branch becomes
active. All other branches and their files are invisible for the
compiler and also for CMake. As I understood it CMake is only necessary
to tell the compiler where and in which order to take the files from. I
built this way now for about 2 years. Why do I need to take care of the
CMake cache? From where do you know that building from a git folder is
not reproducible? If that would be the case how can people work with git
in their jobs?

> IMO, we should not release any binary that was built in this way.

I don't like your 100% "basta" statements. Building under Win is
obviously a bit different than on Unix. Have you ever tried TortoiseGit
or another Git client under Windows?

 > Instead we should find a different solution which ensures a 100%
 > reproducible build, like we do have for all other platforms.

How do you control the people? Why do you think I don't care to get a
correct build? When I make a mistake there I will be flooded by user
complaints.

regards Uwe