List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Reproducible:Crash after clicking on the "Open File" Interface
From:       Scott Kostyshak <skostysh () lyx ! org>
Date:       2012-11-19 13:47:33

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 8:12 AM, Hormatzhan Yiltiz <hyiltiz@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Hormetjan,

Please respond to the list (it's much more knowledgeable than I am).

> I am happy for your appreciation of my bug report (I like writing them! As
> you can imagine, I read the famous How to Write A Bug Report),
> And most importantly, the problem solved!

I'm glad to hear that it worked.

> And thanks so much, since I had to hand in my paper tomorrow morning and I
> just wished I could wait online for help, which worked!
> Since I am in China, I cannot get access to the PPA repository for the
> latest version of LYX, which is a pity. I will try some proxy on this (after
> I finished the paper )

Ah, not a big deal if everything is working smoothly in 2.0.2 for you.

> Though the problem has been successfully solved thanks for your help, this
> is of little importance but I am just interested why did it happen:
> Before the problem got fixed following your instructions (yes I opened orca
> days ago, just trying to figure out what it is as I was purging some useless
> apps), I found some interesting thing.
>
> If I create a new user and login to that user even in the same time, the
> user's LYX did not crash after the same condition.
> I copied out all the configuration files (actually almost all of the files
> apart from .profile and .bashrc) from the new users home directory and right
> into my own using the -f option of cp, but this did not help solve the
> problem.
>
> The problem of my interest is:
>
> if it is a local problem caused by some file under $HOME, why cp -rf
> /home/newuser/ /home/me/ did not help?
> If it is not, why changing to a new user can solve the problem even without
> purging qt-at-spi?
> If it is not, why purging a system-wide library qt-at-spi can solve the
> problem?

It sounds like you had some good ideas for possible solutions. I'm not
sure what is going on here. The problem should happen with other
programs using Qt also (e.g. VLC). I saw an Ubuntu bug report around
somewhere but I'm not sure if anything happened with it. My guess is
it's fixed on 12.10 but I'm not sure. Another way to debug the issue
would be to see which files changed before and after you open Orca.
I'm not sure how to do this. Maybe strace would be of use?

Best,

Scott