List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Official submission of eLyXer for inclusion in LyX
From:       Richard Heck <rgheck () bobjweil ! com>
Date:       2009-04-30 13:29:21

Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
> rgheck wrote:
>> Let me say again that my point had to do with what's required if this
>> is to be included in LyX. And my view, which I would expect to be
>> widely shared, is that support for "basic math" isn't good enough
>> *for that purpose*. If it works well enough for you and some other
>> users, that's great, and I have no problem with supporting it the
>> same way we support htlatex, i.e., by detecting it and configuring an
>> exporter, etc.
>
> I think you are missing one point Richard: eLyXers is the *only* one
> of these tools that deals with the LyX format... eLyXers cannot be
> used by nobody else but LyX users.

Yes, of course, I understand that. That's a reason we *might* include
it. But the question is whether we want to include, as part of LyX, a
converter that deals with only a subset of what LyX provides. I'd say
"No". And you and I seem to agree that, if really we want LyX to be
capable of doing high-quality HTML output, then there is only one way to
proceed, and that's to do it inside LyX, where you have access to the
information that's required. E.g., we have access to all the information
contained in the BibTeX file, fully parsed and ready for output.

Richard