List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: Official submission of eLyXer for inclusion in LyX
From:       Alex Fernandez <alejandrofer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-04-29 21:28:48

Hi Pavel,

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Pavel Sanda <sanda@lyx.org> wrote:
> can you be more specific about this point? is it that some expressions
> are typeset with bugs? is there some way how user would detect this, or avoid
> it by eg switching to math material to be externally typesetted by latex
> and then included as images like latex2html do?

No math expressions are to my knowledge typeset with bugs (although I
would not be surprised). If an expression is not recognized the user
will get an error log detailing which command failed. There are no
plans from my part to generate images since I dislike the approach,
and it is outside the scope of the project (namely, convert LyX to
HTML and CSS, _not_ PNG). But a generic way to parse functions might
be interesting.

> adding elyxer recognition in lyx as third party tool is trivial and
> we can do it right now.

That would be a good start!

> i see gpl-3 there. i'm not expertin this area, but if the code is included
> it would be better to have common license with the rest of the code, ie gpl-2
> now.

There would be no problem to relicense the code for inclusion in LyX.

> imho the will to maintain such module is the crucial part, and if
> you plan the support, the integration with lyx would be better - linux
> distros/users wouldn't need to take care some next package...
> but be warned ... :) it may happen in the near future the lyx format
> will switch to xml and and dont know how well is your code written
> to bypass such a switch...

Right now most parsing code is isolated in a few places, but there are
bits and ends all around. A little cleanup might be good (and be
another interesting exercise).

Thanks,

Alex.